Tuesday, September 11, 2007

wrath of a nation

So, judging from the dates of my fellow authors they have been waiting for quite some time for my contribution to our little experiment. For that, I apologize.

This entry will vary in some ways to my others in that I lack the concentration needed - and health at the moment to be around for long this evening.

Wrath.

I have not had anything to say on this topic which is why nothing has been written. Even now, I fear my interpretation will be on a road that you will not say is one of wrath - but it as close as I know.

Today I had a man sit before me and pour out his heart. He showed me a card that gave him tax free status as a disabled veteran in the state of Oklahoma. It all began by us discussing the benefit - than led to how he obtained it in the first place. This day several years ago triggered the PTSD that had been lurking since his time in Vietnam. He told me story after story. I listened. As we finished I stopped him from just leaving and thanked him for his service and sacrifice. His eyes searched mine, as though he were dreaming - - - perhaps he heard me wrong - but no. He knew what he heard was true and as our eyes teared up together he shook my hand and walked away.

And I remembered the man last month who told me he had only been told "thank you" three times since Vietnam.

And the man who cried on my shoulder at the VFW fearing his daughter would return to the same fate as he: the wrath of a nation.

I can't help but think of the deliberate choices that were made toward our American Service men and women as they have returned from duty. There have always been those who support - - there have always been those who have not. It is easy to think of the horrible stories associated with the return of soldiers from Vietnam - -but it still occurs. I have had many a friend return from Iraq the last few years and have the term "baby-killer" thrown at them.

What causes this sort of wrath? I don't have an answer. To me, these men and women deserve all the respect and honor that one can receive. How their sacrifice can be made such an ugly thing I will never understand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"support our troops" seems to be tentatively coexisting with "don't value the work that they're doing." I wish more people would see the inconsistency.